Teen arrested over 16-year-old's fatal stabbing on New Year's Eve released on bail

By John Mercury January 2, 2024

A 16-year-old boy arrested on suspicion of murdering Harry Pitman on New Year’s Eve has been released on bail, the Metropolitan Police have said.

Harry, who was also 16, was attacked as he waited to watch the fireworks near the Primrose Hill viewing platform, in north London, at about 11.40pm on Sunday.

Police said he was with a group of friends celebrating the New Year when he is believed to have become involved in an altercation “with devastating consequences”.

Officers called to the scene minutes after the attack gave first aid to the victim before ambulance crews arrived. He was pronounced dead shortly before midnight.

A 16-year-old boy who was arrested at the scene on suspicion of murder has been released on bail pending further enquiries, the Met said.

Speaking on Monday evening, Harry’s older sister Tayla, 19, told MailOnline her “mischievous and cheeky” brother “didn’t have a bad bone in his body” and “always stood up for what was right”.

“I’m devastated, he was my baby brother,” she said. “He didn’t even get to see the fireworks, which is why he went to Primrose Hill in the first place.”

Police at the scene of the killing in Primrose Hill
Police at the scene of the killing in Primrose Hill

Read more from Sky News:
‘Jealous’ woman who ran over fiance after birthday party row found guilty of murder
XL bully found dead with burnt legs and fractured skull

Harry’s older brother Patrick, 18, told the Mail his brother, who reportedly wanted to join the Army, was a huge Tottenham Hotspur fan and had gone to Primrose Hill with seven of his friends.

“We are all distraught, it just doesn’t seem real,” he said.

Alex Rosen, the head of St Thomas More Catholic School, described Harry as “our beloved former pupil” who was “a bright and promising young soul”.

“Harry touched the lives of many with his infectious laughter and enthusiasm for life,” he said in a statement.

“He will be remembered for his many qualities, particularly his resilience and the positive impact he had on those around him.”

The spot where Harry was stabbed is among the most popular in the capital for those hoping to watch the London Eye fireworks display.

Detectives are appealing for information from any witnesses, including mobile phone or dashcam and CCTV footage.

‘He was a young man with the rest of his life ahead of him’

Detective Chief Inspector Geoff Grogan, who is leading the investigation, said: “My thoughts and sympathies are with Harry’s family and friends at this difficult time. He was a young man with the rest of his life ahead of him.

“His family are understandably devastated and specially trained officers are supporting them as they come to terms with their loss.

“A dedicated team of detectives are working hard to establish the events that led to such a senseless act of violence. We are reviewing CCTV footage from the area and are carrying out a forensic examination of the scene.

“We know Harry was with a group of friends near the viewing platform on Primrose Hill where they had gathered to celebrate the New Year. It is here where we believe Harry became involved in an altercation with devastating consequences.

“Primrose Hill was very busy at the time and I believe there are people who witnessed the incident who have not yet spoken to police.

“It is vital that we build a clear picture of the moments leading up to, and immediately after, Harry’s murder and I need anyone with information about the altercation, or the attack, to contact us immediately.”


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *