Kate and William 'extremely moved' by 'public's warmth' after cancer announcement

By John Mercury March 24, 2024

The Prince and Princess of Wales are “extremely moved by the public’s warmth and support” after Kate revealed she is receiving treatment for cancer.

Kensington Palace said the future king and queen are “enormously touched” by the outpouring of “kind messages” from across the world following the release of Kate’s emotional video message on Friday.

Kate cancer latest: Follow live

Kate, 42, told of her “huge shock” at the diagnosis following abdominal surgery and said she was undergoing preventative chemotherapy.

She said it had “taken time” to explain her health issues to their children George, Charlotte and Louis in a way that is “appropriate for them, and to reassure them that I am going to be OK”.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Princess of Wales reveals she is having treatment for cancer

The statement prompted messages of support and well wishes from other members of the Royal Family, world leaders, politicians and celebrities from across the globe, while crowds gathered outside Buckingham Palace and Windsor Castle – near Kate and her family’s home.

A Kensington Palace spokesperson said: “The Prince and Princess are both enormously touched by the kind messages from people here in the UK, across the Commonwealth and around the world in response to Her Royal Highness’ message.

More on Princess Of Wales

“They are extremely moved by the public’s warmth and support and are grateful for the understanding of their request for privacy at this time.”

The princess had planned abdominal surgery in January but was not seen again publicly until early March when she was photographed by celebrity news site TMZ.

Newspapers dominated by Kate's announcement. Pic: PA
Image:
Newspapers dominated by Kate’s announcement. Pic: PA

“The surgery was successful. However, tests after the operation found cancer had been present,” Kate said.

“My medical team therefore advised that I should undergo a course of preventative chemotherapy and I am now in the early stages of that treatment.”

She also said she and her husband have been doing everything they can to “process and manage this privately for the sake of our young family”.

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Read more:
When will Kate return to the public eye?
What is preventative chemotherapy?

Her video message, which was recorded in Windsor on Wednesday, followed weeks of speculation and conspiracy theories on social media about her whereabouts because she had not been seen on official engagements since last December.

Speculation was fuelled further when she admitted editing a family photograph posted on Mother’s Day.

The release of the video on the day William and Kate’s three children began their Easter school holidays is understood to have been to take advantage of the break to shield them from the coverage.

👉 Tap here to follow the Sky News Daily wherever you get your podcasts 👈

The King, who was himself diagnosed with cancer in February, is said to be “proud” of his “beloved” daughter-in-law for her “courage” in speaking about her treatment, while Harry and Meghan also offered words of support.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex said: “We wish health and healing for Kate and the family, and hope they are able to do so privately and in peace.”

Politicians from all sides expressed sympathy and support while world leaders, including Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and French President Emmanuel Macron, shared their well wishes too.

US President Joe Biden said he and his wife Jill “join millions around the world in praying for your full recovery, Princess Kate”.

source

Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *