Heartbreak for Coventry City as they lose to Man Utd in dramatic FA Cup semi-final

By John Mercury April 21, 2024

Coventry City missed out on a place in the FA Cup final after losing to Manchester United on penalties in a dramatic match at Wembley.

The Championship club were 3-0 down by the 58th minute in the semi-final but fought back and scored three goals – including a penalty in the fifth minute of injury time – to take United to extra time.

Managed by former United player Mark Robins, Coventry thought they’d won the game with a goal in injury time of extra time but it was ruled out for offside following a VAR review.

It meant the match went to a penalty shoot-out which United won 4-2.

Coventry captain Ben Sheaf sent his crucial penalty over the crossbar, leaving United’s Rasmus Hojlund to step up and secure their place in the final.

Manchester United's Rasmus Hojlund scores the winning penalty during the FA Cup semi-final. Pic: Nigel French/PA Wire
Manchester United’s Rasmus Hojlund scored the winning penalty. Pic: PA

Manchester United's Rasmus Hojlund scores the winning penalty in the penalty shootout past Coventry City's Bradley Collins Pic: Action Images via Reuters
United will now face rivals Manchester City in the final. Pic: Reuters

After coming so close to suffering an upset, Erik ten Hag’s team – currently seventh in the Premier League table – kept their celebrations muted.

United were three up and cruising through to the final after goals from Scott McTominay, Harry Maguire and Bruno Fernandes set them up for what looked to be a routine win.

But Robins’ side, who are eighth in the Championship, roared back.

Coventry's Haji Wright  - who scored their injury time penalty - applauding fans at the end of the match.  Pic: Bradley Collyer/PA Wire
Coventry’s Haji Wright, who scored their injury time penalty, applauds fans at the end of the match. Pic: PA

More from Sky News:
MP quits Conservative Party
Two helicopters crash in Pacific Ocean

Follow Sky News on WhatsApp
Follow Sky News on WhatsApp

Keep up with all the latest news from the UK and around the world by following Sky News

Tap here

Ellis Simms was their first player to score and did so in the 70th minute, before Callum O’Hare followed suit in the 79th.

United clung on to their 3-2 lead until three minutes into stoppage time when a handball from Aaron Wan-Bissaka resulted in Coventry being awarded a penalty – which was put away by Haji Wright.

Coventry thought they had secured a stunning win when Victor Torp hit the back of the net in the final minute of extra time, before their brief joy was extinguished by a VAR review for offside.

The cup tie was ultimately settled by penalties, with Sheaf firing into the United fans as Coventry fell short by a whisker.

United will now face rivals Manchester City in the FA Cup final at Wembley on 25 May.


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *